| ####### Website ####### Blog Pix ####### Flickr ####### Résumé |
<Rainbow Heron>Welcome to the Brain Dump! |
Sunday, May 05, 2002
RH/Alice and Alice and CBS Alice
At last! Someone else has seen the Alice in Wonderland that was on CBS way back in the 80s!!!! I've had some close calls but this time we found a cigar! This is also my first-ever link to someone else's blog post! You have made my day Squee.Gee!!!!
I've had this lifelong love for Lewis Carroll's classic 2 Alice tales, when I was extremely young, I even used to pretend that I was Alice's twin sister or at least a part of her subconcious. Like her, I am a very curious cat and I like to feed my brain almost as often as I feed my stomach, so it's no wonder I took the name Alice in the Sith Wars. So I'm an Alice Freak! :-D
One thing about Alice and Alices is that Hollywood has yet to portray the classic tales -yes there are two- correctly. I have seen 3 versions so far (not that there are many to begin with) and here's the low-down:
Disney- blue dress: Meshed Wonderland with Looking-Glass Land shamefully and threw everything out of order. Good for beginners, but don't take it seriously. Nice Mome Raths tho. First VHS we ever bought and I often watched it at other peoples' houses when they babysat me.
CBS- red dress: Full seperation of Wonderland and Looking-Glass Land and they made an honest attempt to make a transition from one to the other...even if it did completely elimiate the original endings for both and beginning for Looking-Glass. Most accurrate factually and my personal fav. Mom thought the Jabberwocky might scare me, but being attuned to dragons (Pete's Dragon) I wasn't scared. Wow, they even credited the guy in the suit! It's a whopping 3+ hours long but it makes a GREAT day!
NBC- yellow dress: I hate this one (rant alert). I don't like the actress and I don't like the line-up of these actors/actresses, and the overall ensemble isn't very good. They just didn't feel their characters like the CBS group did. I was also disappointed by folks who *should* have been good but weren't. :-( Gene Wilder (whom I usually like a great deal) was only an okay Mock Turtle and Christopher Lloyd will always be Doc Brown...not the White Knight. Yes my paritality to Lloyd Bridges (so THAT'S who that was! You can't read the credits well on the tape) as the White Knight plays a factor but still... They tried their best to stay in Wonderland, but they threw in some Looking-Glass Land for some unknown reason, and they didn't even TRY to make it fit (cuz it can't but still). The only thing it had going for it was that it had the most accurate dialog and a few more accurate plot points, but they looked terrible. Even that aside, I still don't like this one. They also had that damn lens filter thing that MTV fans are fond of- WAY too much yellow! UGH!
Btw, I saw those in that exact order. I taped the NBC one but since the tape never got labeled, it's probably lost. Thank goodness I taped the CBS one, and now I almost can't believe that it's listed in the IMDB or that it's available on tape!!!! Thank you Squee.Gee!!!! Man, I hope they put the CBS one on DVD!!! Now I just need the DVD player...
posted @ 12:50 AM |
0 comments |








©